I'm New Here Our Ministries Education Youth Fellowship While Serving News Links Pictures
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church had its original beginning in 1744 when a Hickory Church was built on church grounds. The building was used for some 28 years by Lutherans and German Reformed groups. The early settlers held services regularly under the direction of a lay reader using the German language. By 1773 the Hickory Church was no longer used due to other churches being established by the Lutherans and the Reformed. About 1830 some Lutherans in the original church wanted to continue to have a church in the community. A small group of Lutherans of the Tennessee Synod gathered together to build a church that was named Krauth Memorial Lutheran Church. A three acre tract of land was purchased form Jacob Fullenwider for $12.00, on which a frame church 30’ by 40’ was built. Little is known about the membership of this newly organized congregation but it is thought that about twelve stauch members made up this group. The following people may have been among the first members: Jacob Fullenwider, Henry Miller, Sr., Henry Miller, Jr., Katie Barnhart, Frederick Josey, John Eller, Charles Eller, and some Goodmans. The Krauth Church was left unfinished on the inside when it was built. Some Lutherans from the North Carolina Synod got permission from the Tennessee Synod to finish the frame church. Some time after 1832 a gallery was built on three sides and a high pulpit. The church was jointly owned by the North Carolina and Tennessee Synods. About 1855, Rev. Samuel Rothrock and Rev. J. A. Linn, Sr., began holding services with the congregation. This resulted in the organization of a congregation in sympathy with the North Carolina Synod. In 1858 the congregation was received into the North Carolina Synod and the name was officially changed from Krauth Memorial to St. Peter’s Lutheran Church. It was in this church that many of the prominent families of St. Peter’s Church was baptized, catechized, and confirmed; the Trexler’s Lyerly’s, Brown’s, Miller’s, Holshouser’s, Misenheimer’s, and Kluttz’s. A third church was built on the site in 1883 during the pastorate of Rev. T. H. Strohecker. This frame church was 40’ by 60’ and would seat about 300 people. During the dedication service on June 29, 1884, a cornet and organ were used to accompany the congregation in worship. Transcepts and Sunday School rooms were added to the church in 1924 under the leadership of Rev. B. M. Clark. The church chancel was remodeled in 1924 to bring the church setting into more harmony with Lutheran usage. The first homecoming celebration was held at St. Peter’s on September 6, 1925. The 100th anniversary of St. Peter’s was celebrated on August 21, 1932 with Rev. A. K. Hewitt preaching the sermon. A church hut was constructed in 1947 for additional Sunday School classroom’s during the pastorate of Rev. O. G. Swicegood. In 1947 St. Peter’s Church decided along with St. Matthew’s, its sister church, to become self supporting. Rev. Paul L. Morgan became the first full-time pastor in September 1947. A church parsonage was built in 1949 on a lot given by Mr. & Mrs. J. R. Myers. In 1950 a church building fund was started to build a fourth church under the leadership of Rev. E. A. Dasher. In 1954, Mr. & Mrs. Charles C. Holshouser gave a tract of land on which to build a new church. Groundbreaking services for a new church were begun in February on 1957 with the new church being completed in 1958 during the pastorate of Rev. Curtis K. Wise, Sr. The church with a 450 seating capacity, Sunday School classrooms and fellowship hall with a debt of $182,000.00 was paid off during the pastorate of Rev. Glenn A. Miller. During Rev. Miller’s ministry at St. Peter’s he was instrumental in leading four sons of the congregation into full time church service as pastors. They were the Rev. Floyd Sides, the Rev. Hollis Miller, The Rev. Gary Lyerly, and the Rev. Johnny Cozart. In 1976 a two acre tract of land was given to the congregation by Mr. & Mrs. Everette C. Brown to be used as additional cemetery space under the pastorate of Rev. John E. Pless. In October of 1980 a new Casavant Pipe Organ was purchased. Pastors 1836 J. R. Moser 1837-1838 Jacob Killian 1839 H. Wetzel 1840 J. Stirewalt 1842-1845 J. W. Hull 1847-1853 Adam Efird 1853-1855 J. A. Linn, Sr. 1855-1868 Samuel Rothrock 1868-1870 S. Seherly 1871-1877 W. H. Cone 1877-1880 J. A. Linn, Jr. 1881-1885 L. H. Stohecker 1886-1892 Henry A. Trexler 1893-1897 W.P. Huddle 1897-1898 W. B. Oney 1899-1902 E. W. Leslie 1903-1906 Frank M. Harr 1907-1909 J. A. Linn, Jr. 1910-1913 W. C. Buck 1914-1920 Henry A. Trexler 1920-1923 G. H. Cooper 1923-1929 B. M. Clark 1929-1932 A. K. Hewitt 1932-1938 F. P. Cauble 1938-1947 Olin G. Swicegood 1948-1949 Paul L. Morgan 1950-1953 Everett A. Dasher 1954-1958 Curtis K. Wise, Jr. 1959-1975 Glenn A. Miller 1976-1984 John E. Pless 1985-1993 Tommy Beaver 1996-1997 Jerald M. Peele 1998-2003 Douglas E Hefner 2004-2012 David Ridenhour 2014-present Sean P. Barrett